Friday, November 7, 2008

Taking Action

It is my opinion that all too often, people choose to do nothing. I even spent a couple of weeks recently thinking about "what to do". I was faced with making some very significant changes in my life, and although we all think having "unlimited possibilities" would be a great thing. It can also be paralyzing! For many of us making a decision is difficult. We think about all of the possible worst case scenarios, second guess our own abilities, blah, blah, blah...So what do we do? NOTHING!

I've often said that "sometimes to be successful, you have to be too dumb to know better!"
I believe that's true. If we would just "pull the trigger" sometimes, without "thinking it all through" and "doing all of the research", we would be better off! But, we've been taught "think it through", "don't make rash decisions", "don't jump the gun".  That would be fine if we also didn't have those voices that say "what if I fail?" "What if I make a fool of myself?" "I'm not that smart" "I'm not good enough". We carry all of those thoughts around every day, and when the opportunity to do something arises, there they are! Ready to jump up and stop us!

A few months ago I had been listening to this Andy Andrews CD (it's my all time favorite, and I've almost worn it out!). It's about "taking action", and so when I came across a Craigslist post that said "puppies die tomorrow" complete with a photo of 7 tiny lab pups and the explanation that they were to be "put down" at a shelter at 4pm the following day, I was haunted by it all night. I thought "I have to do something! How am I going to feel at 4:05 if I do nothing?". I knew that I had very little money at the time, but didn't give it much thought. I just decided! I told my husband, we grabbed a big box, picked the boys up from school, and drove to the shelter an hour away. I also didn't think about the fact that I had a horrible middle ear infection and couldn't stand to be in moving car without incredible motion sickness!
Anyway, while my husband was driving, I got on my laptop and emailed a few friends about the puppies asking if they knew of anyone who could take one. My emails were forwarded to more people than I could even imagine! Including an amazing rescue group (Marleys Cat Tales). Suddenly, I was getting emails and phone calls from all over! People I didn't even know were either offering help, or just saying "thanks" for what we were doing. When we got home we had people showing up at our house with supplies, and offering to foster some of them. It was truly surreal!

At the end of the day, we had not only saved 7 precious little puppies, but taught our children that ANYONE and EVERYONE can do SOMETHING to make a difference. And sometimes, it's just a matter of taking a leap of faith! I KNEW that there were enough people in this area and that there had to be some who would want a puppy. I had NO IDEA how it would all work out.

I've heard soooo many times to "just figure out the what, and the how will come". But so many times I still find myself wanting to see the entire plan!

When you find yourself in this "place", watch this video! And remember these words by Andy Andrews, "God did not put in you the ability to always make the right decision. But he did put in you the ability to make a decision, and to make it right!"



Andy Andrews - Joshua Chamberlain

No comments:

Apex Good Living